Supply chains can be a convoluted thing to understand. Most people picture trucks full of one specific item crisscrossing the country, but the reality is much more complex. There are many other modes of transportation in use, like planes and ships, for example, but the idea of a full truckload (FTL) is also less common than most people imagine. Less than truckload (LTL) shipping is a common way for companies to move a variety of goods, often when they have multiple stops to make across the same geographic area. Common LTL shipping myths in Houston, TX can stop people from utilizing this very useful service, so we’ve taken the time to provide the truth below:
- MYTH—Delivery times are guaranteed: Unfortunately, LTL shipping by its very nature means that pickup and drop-off times can’t be guaranteed. Shipping carriers can provide estimates to customers, but getting more specific beyond that is a tricky business. If your shipment urgently needs to arrive by a specific time, it might be best to opt for another shipping option.
- MYTH—Scheduling LTL shipments is difficult: This LTL shipping myth in Houston, TX is one of the most common misconceptions we hear. While this method of shipping can be challenging for carriers to figure out, that’s not something you need to worry about. We have the expertise to effectively schedule LTL shipments for low costs so you can simply rest assured your products will arrive on time.
- MYTH—LTL shipping carriers can’t negotiate fuel surcharges: This myth is a bit complicated because it’s not entirely accurate, but there is a grain of truth to it. If you only use a shipping carrier every now and then for LTL shipments, you’re not that likely to have the leverage to negotiate fuel costs. However, if you use them on a consistent basis, then it’s far more of a possibility that they’ll work with you on a discounting program that can lower your costs.
- MYTH—Carrier discounts matter more than base rates: When it comes to LTL shipping, the base rate is really the most pressing issue. A common LTL shipping myth in Houston, TX is that you should jump on carriers that offer the highest discounts, but that’s pointless if the base rate is so high that it negates these reductions. It’s important to sharpen your pencil and figure out the overall price of shipping to find the best bargain.
- MYTH—LTL freight classifications always stay the same: On the contrary, the National Motor Freight Classification Board meets twice a year to take a look at freight classifications, and typically winds up making changes. Your shipping carrier will stay on top of these changes and help you figure out where you can save some money thanks to any recent modifications to these rules.
Learning the facts about less than truckload shipping in Houston, TX is an important first step in figuring out if this shipping method is right for your business. Give the team at Pro Delivery LLC a call today to start your free consultation. We’d be glad to help you figure out all of your supply chain needs!
Categorised in: LTL Trucking Company
This post was written by Writer